Saturday, January 29, 2011

Life Lessons of a Father

Genesis 2:7
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
Since God created Adam, physical life has always been a gift from God, but it is the soul that God breathes into each person that is the true gift of life.
The moment that we are born into this world and take our first breath, our life becomes a gift, a treasure, something to be valued. As a gift from God, what do we add to our lives that brings pleasure to God?
Well the following is one area that I feel brings pleasure to God.
My earthly father's hands handled the shovel that turned the soil, grasped the wrench that fixed cars, gripped the twine on bales of hay, and swung the handle of an ax that turned wood into firewood. He left the safety of the USA to land on foreign soil in WWII at the young age of 18. Was a POW and returned home a changed man.
When my father worked with his hands, he worked hard and determined; he never gave up. The occasions when scratches and cuts would be incurred, my father continued to work; until the job was done.
In times of happiness, sickness, struggles, and sorrow, my father raised his family with commitment; he never gave up. The same hands that fought for our country, and that bled in hard work, held my mother and siblings, with compassion and gentleness.
My father’s hands were rough, scarred and beautiful at the same time. Everything he did, he did with others in mind and Christ in his heart.
My father, you not only gave me physical life, but you also showed me the path to eternal life through Jesus Christ. You not only taught me the principles of Christian living, but you also set the example of Christian living. Your words were your life.
We often talk about inheritance and what a man is to leave his son. However we neglect to consider what a son should leave his father. (Read this twice)
As a son, what inheritance could I possibly leave my father? What have I done in my life and what possessions would bring him joy? I could only leave you one thing; I know in my heart that you have loved me. The gift of life given to you has no doubt taken root in those you loved, and nurtured over your years. To be half the man my father was, to love and nurture my family as did he, and to love, honor and serve Christ is the greatest earthly inheritance a son could offer his father.
This, my friends can be called the Domino effect of Christian living and should be at the core of every family.
Life is a gift, and if we don’t grablifenow, our hope, our children’s hope, and our family’s hope in eternity will be swallowed up by the things of the world. It’s time to rise up Men, and be the fathers God has intended us to be. Set the standard, and your set for life.
Matthew 7:9-12
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
Blessings,
Mark <><

No comments:

Post a Comment